Thursday, May 3, 2012

Remember the Alamo...and other fun things in San Antonio!



To say that life is busy for the Toler family right now would be a huge understatement!  Date night has turn into late nights of grammar analysis and play dates have turned into "can your child come over and play with mine so that we can get some homework done?!"  The fact is, I don’t have time to sit down and write this blog, but as I turned the calendar over to May, I realized it had been a whole months since I’d written anything.  I decided that time goes by way too fast not to make a note of the memories that we’ve shared recently.  
 In between our 3rd and 4th session of classes, we had a 3 day break and decided to take off for a mini-family vacation.  The reality is that we will probably not be able to take off for a week to go to the beach or Disney anytime in the near future, but that is okay.  We had been wanting to visit San Antonio, which is about a 4 hour drive from Dallas and decided that it would be a doable trip for this amount of time.  I went on Travelocity and decided to be brave and try one of their “mystery deals” (kind of like name your own price on Priceline) where you don’t know the name of the hotel until after you make the reservations.  We ended up getting a 4 star hotel 3 blocks from the Alamo and the Riverwalk for less than $50 a night!  Woo hoo!  We had such a nice time cruising the Riverwalk, visiting the Alamo, exploring the Natural Bridge Caverns, and eating the biggest cinnamon roll ever!  Kieran said it was the best trip he has ever taken!  I’m so glad we took this time to relax and enjoy some good family time. 


We found a little piece of Oaxaca right across from our hotel.  Unfortunately, it was closed down :(! 

Yep!  That is one big cinnamon roll!
I'm not sure that knife is big enough.

Nothing like a nutritious breakfast to start the day! 
Little House on the Prairie
Still no basement in the Alamo.
This one needs a Texas sized nap!  She did fall asleep on his head.
Nothing says vacation like a hotel swimming pool.  It was a bit too cold for Elyse and mommy!
Dinner at the Magic Time Machine.  We had our own little house to eat in!
And our waitress was Daphne with her friend Scooby Doo!
We ended out trip at the Natural Bridge Caverns and saw the amazing caves and rock formations.


2 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

A Mitla restaurant in Texas? Oh, my. We're headed up that way next month. Many fond memories of San Antonio. You'll be glad you are blogging all of this. Keep it up!

Bob Heren said...

Looking for Oaxaca in the US? I don't know if you had any Oaxaca cheese while you were there, but I was hooked. When I came back to the US I kept looking but never could find any. I was really excited once when I finally found some "Oaxaca cheese" in the grocery store, but when I brought it home I was disappointed because it just wasn't the same...